Tuesday, November 4, 2008

English Encounters.

My favorite thing about Bristol is how pretty it has been this fall :) We need a new camera battery charger, I happened to get this picture before it died.

Now onto the encounters... So most days I live in silence because I have no one to talk to thanks to the time difference and lack of knowing people here. Oh and my husband works all day! The last two days I've had some interesting breaks in the silence when on my way to or waiting for the bus.

Encounter # 1:

English man: Can I park anywhere here or is there visitor parking?
American: All spots with numbers belong to an apartment. Visitor is over there.
English man: Thanks
The American starts to walk away and the English yells: I can't wait until your election is over. I am sick of hearing about it...
The American smiles and continues to walk away.

Encounter # 2:

American waiting at the bus stop: Do you know where you can buy bus passes?
English man: Asking the bus driver would be your obvious answer.
American feeling like an idiot: Oh yes, thank you.
English man: Are you from Canada?
American: No, I am from America, Seattle actually.
English man: Oh yes..there is a movie from there isn't there? Something about being in Seattle?
American: You mean Sleepless in Seattle. Yes.
English man: That was a good movie wasn't it?
American: Yes
English man: Don't they make cars in Seattle too?
American looking confused: I don't think that is what Seattle is known for to my knowledge.
English man: Don't know much do ya?

Ahhhh the return of my silence is welcomed. :)

No comments: