Thursday, August 21, 2008

Yellow bowl memories.


I've started going through all of my things in preperation to move. I was recently inspired to look at this entire process differently and to let go, get rid of a lot of my things. This will make all of our travels much easier. My question is this...how does the most sentimental person in the world let go of all of her things that represent so much? A coworker of mine sent me an article that i will attach here after I weed through the zillion emails it could be in. It was written by a woman preparing to move over seas and trying to decide what to store and what to get rid of. She asked herself the question about each item "Does this represent me now or me 10 years ago?"


I started going through boxes this week I had a hard time letting go of anything. Not very surprising I guess coming from me! Would you believe that as I stacked up my 8 year old yellow Ikea bowls my mind filled with little memories of every place I've lived? As I opened my box full of candles the smell brought me back to my apartment in Everett and everything that happened that summer. I let myself sit there a few minutes.. reflecting on the last 8 years before boxing these things up and taking them immediately to the Goodwill near by. I have a long way to go..more boxes to go through, more trips to the Goodwill... BUT I will keep in mind this woman's simple question before I pack or let go.

No comments: