It has been a little over a week since my grandpa, who we all call Papa, had two strokes. I had just gotten to work when Leanne called. Any time she starts the conversation with "you haven't heard yet?" I know its something horrible. With the help of Carla, my manager at work, I got to my cousin Tami's work and we made our way to the hospital. In the ER everything happens so quickly. People move quickly, talk quickly... Its overwhelming. Thankfully he was only in there for a couple of hours. The next unit of the hospital was MUCH better. I took the rest of the week off of work so that I could be there when all the doctors came. I had sooo many questions!
Papa's stroke was on the right side of his brain so the left side of his body is weak. He has minimal to no movement in his left hand but his arm, shoulder and leg are coming along. He walked 6 feet yesterday in physical therapy in between the parallel bars. He has been moved to a rehabilitation center doing 3-4 hours of therapy a day- speech, occupational, and physical. He's got a great attitude and is determined!
One nurse at Highline told us that right brain strokes are sneaky. Its not always obvious what last affects are left with the stroke victim- emotions, impulsivity, planning, math.. these were things were mentioned as possibilities. He can talk perfectly and his memory is completely in tact. FOR that we are thankful.
For me the scariest part has been not knowing whats going to happen over the next few months. There are no two cases the same with stroke patients. The journey ahead is big and uncertain. We are trying to hold together as a family but I will say situations like this bring out the worst and best in people (as said by my best friend Karyn, an RN). For my family its done just that and its not been fun. The key is taking it one day at a time. Rejoicing in the small things... a raised arm, toes wiggling, all names remembered, the first 6 ft walked... all these things keep us trucking along.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment